And They Call It Puppy Love

I have an announcement to make. Now, just so we're clear, I'm only telling some of my closest friends. And that's you. So don't be going around telling everyone. I like to keep my private life private. So I'm trusting you with this information. So please keep it to yourself. Are you ready? Okay. Deep breath...

I am in-love, people! Yes, it's true. I have finally found the man of my dreams and I have fallen hook, line and sinker. He's absolutely perfect for me. We met a few months ago and, at first, I didn't care for him all that much. But we've gotten to know each other quite well over time, and now I find myself looking forward to seeing him at the end of the day. I wake up in the middle of the night just to make sure he's still here in bed with me. I roll over and touch him, just to make sure he is real. I ask myself why it took me so long to find someone like him and why I put it off for so long.

He's very handsome, and yet can be kind of goofy. He's not perfect by any means. He's hairy and he snores. But I can overlook those things. He's gray. But aren't we all? Or at least will be someday? I guess for me, he IS perfect. He's playful, gentle, and super easy to please. He likes staring at me when I'm in the shower. At first this was unnerving because I'm kind of modest. But he's into that kind of thing and I have learned that it's just his curiosity. So I have learned to ignore him while he does it. If it amazes him to see me taking a shower than that's okay with me.

It seems like he's always been here. Ever meet someone like that? I don't know what life was before him. He has changed my life. And no, this is not a puppy love, like Donny Osmond sang about...




And sure, this might just be the "honeymoon phase" where everything he does is cute and funny. And I'm sure that this, too, will come to an end someday. But for now, I'm glad and relieved that the search is over. I think he feels the same way about me. He even let me know recently that he too is tired of the whole "cat and mouse game". That's when I knew he was a keeper. Scroll down to see the new love of my life...












Wait for it...













This is Swiffur, my new love, tired of the cat and mouse game.


Yes, that's right. I admit it. The cat that I didn't want Santa Claus to bring has wormed his way into my heart. He's become the light in the house. When we come home, the first question is "Where's Swiffur?" Never has there been a cat that has gotten so much attention. And he knows he's the man of the house, the way he saunters around, with a slow confident stride, that screams, "look at how beautiful I am". The attitude on this cat! It's like, instead of "get me a beer woman" it's "fill up my cat dish people". Such a manly attitude. So cute.


Speaking of "worming" his way into my heart and this newfound testosterone manliness, we took Swiffur back to Petco for his follow up booster shot, worming and rabies shot. This trip was much different from the one before. (Is He or Isn't She) Unlike last time when he tore the vet techs to shreds with his claws, this time we decided to take Edward Swiffurhands to the grooming place to have his claws clipped FIRST. We're getting smarter about this. Unfortunately, they couldn't do it until he got his rabies shot. So, we joined the other 96 people in line, with their mangy dogs and cats, and waited for 2 hours to get shots. I am happy to report that Swiffur was much different this time. He didn't let out a meow that stopped people in their tracks this time. He took it like a man. First a shot in the hind leg, then in the shoulder, then a syringe down his throat for worming. All without as much as a meow. He even let the vet tech feel to see if he is a boy. Last time, and for the last 4 months, it's been debatable. The last vet tech told us she was 90% sure he was a he. But that 10% still had us wondering. So we had this vet tech check again. Sure enough, he has "one testicle coming down into the sack", said the male vet tech. I figure a male vet tech has a better form of reference than the 20 year old female vet tech that examined him last time. So we're going with it.

SWIFFUR IS A BOY! Woohoo! No getting knocked up and having kittens in the house! (But we will have to worry about him sneaking out late at night and taking the car. Boys will be boys.)

When we got him home, he was lethargic again for the next couple of days like the last round of shots. Now, I know what I'm about to say is strange, because nobody wants their kids or loved ones to be sick. But there is something so great about when your kid has a cold and has to stay home from school and you get to pamper them back to wellness. I think I like it because they get needy. I would never want my child or my animal to be in this state permanently. I don't envy parents that have to deal with chronic illnesses or deadly diseases and have to be in this state full time. But on the once a year occasion, when my kids are sick and I get to nurse them back to health, it brings out the maternal side of me and fills my heart with love, compassion, and joy over the need to take care of another human being. My kids are so independent that it feels like this is the only time they need me. Is that wrong? Anyway, Swiffur was listless for a few days and we all loved being gentle with him and bringing him to his water so he would drink. And of course, again, lifting him on to the bed and such because without claws, he would attempt to jump like he had before and end up just sliding off. (You would think he would learn that he can't do that after getting his claws clipped. But no. Swiffur is beautiful to look at, but admittedly, Swiffur isn't too swift. A common saying around the house.) Anyway, this is what a Swiffur looks like after a trip to Petco...






My Kaneclusion: Pussycat, Pussycat, I love you. Yes I do. You and your pussy cat eyes...you and your pussy cat lips...you and your pussy cat nose.



1 comment:

dianne said...

LMAO on the first part! He is pretty cute. Is it wrong to bring them in for shots every weekend?